Liszt: Harmonies Du Soir
Franz Liszt was born on October 22, 1811 and he died July 31, 1886. As such, 2011 is the 200th anniversary of the composer’s birth. We can expect a whole lot of Liszt recorded music this year, and this CD by Nelson Freire is a great way to start.
The selections are:
- Ballade No. 2 in B minor, S171/R16
- Hungarian Rhapsody, S244 No. 3 in B flat major
- Hungarian Rhapsody, S244 No. 8 in F sharp minor
- Transcendental Studies, S139 Nos. 1-12
- Valse oubliée No. 1 in F sharp, S.215
- Waldesrauschen, S145 No. 1
- Sonetto 104 del Petrarca (Années de pèlerinage II, S. 161 No. 5)
- Au lac de Wallenstadt (Années de pèlerinage I, S. 160 No. 2)
- Consolations, Six Pensées poétiques, S. 172
Nelson Freire has selected this fine repertoire for his latest recording. The very personal selection includes Liszt showpieces such as the Harmonies du soir (12 Études d’exécution transcendante), the Hungarian Rhapsodies and Liebesträume.
Nelson Freire’s most recent album of Chopin Nocturnes received a Diapason d’or of the Year award in France and a Grammy nomination.
This CD is to be issued May 17, 2011
Here is Nelson Freire playing the Beethoven Waldstein Sonata at an amazing tempo:
Tags: Liszt 200th birth anniversary; Nelson Freire, pianist