This album, called “Time Transcending” is a musical journey through the world of violin playing. It ranges from the structured order of Bach’s Chaconne, through the agitating drama of the ‘Ballade’ by Ysaye and the motifs of Berio’s “Sequenza” repeating themselves under high tension, to the ascending movement of Paganini’s famous Caprice No. 24.
A listing of all the selections follows:
Bach, J S:
- Partita for solo violin No. 2 in D minor, BWV1004: Chaconne
- Sequenza VIII for violin
Ernst, H W:
- The last Rose of Summer (Etude No. 6)
- Louange a L’Immortalité de Jésus (from Quatuor pour la fin du temps)
- Caprice for solo violin, Op. 1 No. 24 in A minor
- Caprice Variations
- Sonata for solo violin in D minor, Op. 27 No. 3 ‘Ballade’
Performed by Daniel Dodds (violin) and Tomasz Trzebiatowski (piano)
I liked Mr. Dodd’s performances. His playing of the Bach Chaconne seemed assured, confident, and technically strong.
While I could not locate the Bach Chaconne as performed by Mr. Dodds, here is violinist Nathan Milstein:
Tags: Daniel Dodds, violinist