Martin Helmchen piano recital
- Live recording from the Verbier Festival, July 2011
Martin Helmchen, in this 2011 Verbier Festival recital, presents a program of Bach, Liszt and Beethoven.
Bach, J S:
- Partita No. 1 in B flat major, BWV825
- Piano Sonata No. 29 in B-flat major, Op. 106 ‘Hammerklavier’
- Prelude after Bach’s cantata ‘Weinen Klagen Sorgen Zagen’, S179
- Au bord d’une source (Années de pèlerinage I, S. 160 No. 4)
- Nuages gris, S199
- Vexilla regis prodeunt, S. 185
Performed by Martin Helmchen (piano)
Martin Helmchen demonstrates his technique and his flexibility, as he moves with ease from the rhythm of a Bach composition, through the challenges of Liszt’s virtuosic showpieces, to the amazing musical aspects of Beethoven’s late piano works.
An artist who ‘connects seriousness and wistfulness with success’, the audience is truly drawn – in through his expressive playing, vividly captured in this DVD recording.
Here is Martin Helmchen, playing Liszt and Beethoven
And next, here are German pianist Martin Helmchen and conductor Vladimir Jurowski discussing the thrill of live recordings of the two piano concertos of Dmitri Shostakovich.
Tags: Martin Helmchen, Bach, Beethoven, Liszt