- Symphonies Nos. 4 & 5
Recorded live at London’s Southbank Centre’s Royal Festival Hall on 19 March and 4 May 2011
- Symphony No. 4 in F minor, Op. 36
- Symphony No. 5 in E minor, Op. 64
Performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Vladimir Jurowski
Throughout his life, Tchaikovsky was preoccupied with the idea of “Fate”, describing it as ‘that fatal power which prevents one from attaining the goal of happiness’. In those days, being Gay was a serious issue to deal with, and this concern is expressed in both the Fourth and Fifth symphonies.
Principal Conductor Vladimir Jurowski continues his exploration of the composer’s six symphonies, leading the London Philharmonic Orchestra in these live concert recordings of two symphonies.
Jurowski opens the 4th Symphony with clear, vibrant horns. It becomes evident that Jurowski has his orchestra in excellent control, with highly expressive playing helped by wonderful recorded sound.
The 2nd movement expresses sad longing and the most sensitive phrasing. the playing is not wallowing in sentimentality, yet we’re emotionally drawn into the drama and sadness of the music.
The finale of the 4th is more of a joyful romp than a long awaited triumph over despair. Jurowski’s energized music is very satisfying.
Jurowski retains the same level of energy and fine playing in the 5th Symphony. In the finale, fireworks are heard, but they come from Tchaikovsky’s heart that throbs with dark sadness and passions.
Tracks on this CD are:
1. Symphony No. 4 in F minor, Op. 36: I. Andante sostenuto – Moderato con anima
2. Symphony No. 4 in F minor, Op. 36: II. Andantino in modo di canzone
3. Symphony No. 4 in F minor, Op. 36: III. Scherzo: Pizzicato ostinato – Allegro
4. Symphony No. 4 in F minor, Op. 36: IV. Finale: Allegro con fuoco
1. Symphony No. 5 in E minor, Op. 64: I. Andante – Allegro con anima
2. Symphony No. 5 in E minor, Op. 64: II. Andante cantabile con alcuna licenza
3. Symphony No. 5 in E minor, Op. 64: III. Valse: Allegro moderato
4. Symphony No. 5 in E minor, Op. 64: IV. Finale: Andante maestoso – Allegro vivace
Here is Vladimir Jurowski conducting the Chamber Orchestra of Europe with pianist Helene Grimaud in works by Richard Strauss and Ravel, in Paris, Jan. 24, 2009:
And here is Jurowski, leading the London Philharmonic Orchestra in Tchaikovsky’s Symphony No 1:
Tags: Tchaikovsky, Symphonies 4 and 5, London Philharmonic, Vladimir Jurowski