Sol Gabetta’s Music for Cello:
Early this morning I listened to Cellist Sol Gabetta perform the Concerto for Cello and Orchestra by Joseph Haydn.
• Performer: Sol Gabetta
• Orchestra: Kammerorchester Basel
• Conductor: Sergio Ciomei
I had not heard Ms. Gabetta for a while; and how delighted I was: she’s really become one terrific interpreter. I was totally amazed with the way she played the Haydn, particularly the second movement of this composition.
Believe me when I tell you that it takes a lot more than being an attractive, blond woman to become successful as a performer in the music business. My sense is that this musician has worked hard, identified top teachers, and committed herself to become one of the top cellists of today.
The Haydn cello concerto – in my view – is one truly great work on this disc, and Ms. Gabetta gives a strong personal interpretation of this music.
The Kammerorchester Basel under Sergio Ciomei are terrific, bringing real life to these concerti and complementing the solo playing beautifully.
1. Cello Concerto in D major; I. Allegro moderato
2. Cello Concerto in D major; II. Adagio un poco Andante
3. Cello Concerto in D major; III. Allegro molto
4. Cello Concerto No. 1 in C major; I. Moderato
5. Cello Concerto No. 1 in C major; II. Adagio
6. Cello Concerto No. 1 in C major; III. Allegro
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart:
7. Flute Concerto No. 2 in D major, K. 314, adapted for Cello; I. Allegro aperto
8. Flute Concerto No. 2 in D major, K. 314, adapted for Cello; II. Andante ma non troppo
9. Flute Concerto No. 2 in D major, K. 314, adapted for Cello; III. Allegro
Here is Sol Gabetta in Haydn’s Cello Concerto No. 1 In C Major, the ending of the 3rd movement, Allegro Molto:
And now, here is Edward Elgar’s wonderful Cello Concerto in E minor op. 85 as performed by Sol Gabetta:
Tags: Sol Gabetta, Cellist, Haydn, Mozart, Hoffman, Kammerorchester Basel, Sergio Ciomei