- Opera for clarinet
Clarinetist Sharon Kam loves opera. As such, you will understand that her new CD album fulfills her dream to present arias from many operas, as interpreted on her instrument, rather than by the human voice, for which these arias were originally composed.
We hear the following music:
- Paolo e Virginia, Op. 78
- Sole e Amore
- Storiella D’amore
- Ore dolci e divine (from La Rondine)
- Del periglio al fero aspetto (from Maometto II)
- Nacqui all’affanno, al pianto…Non più mesta (from La Cenerentola)
- Deh pietoso oh Addolorata
- Ad una stella
- In solitaria stanza
- Lo spazzacamino
- Il segreto di Susanna: intermezzo
- Aprile o bella – Serenata (from I gioielli della Madonna)
- I gioielli della Madonna (The Jewels of the Madonna): Festa popolare, Act III; Intermezzo No. 1; Intermezzo No. 2; Danza napolitana, Act III
Performed by Sharon Kam (clarinet), supported by the Württembergisches Kammerorchester Heilbronn, conducted by Ruben Gazarian
This recording goes far beyond what one normally expects of instrumental arrangements. Rather, this varied and thoughtfully programmed sequence of arrangements gives the clarinet center stage, makes the instrument the ‘prima donna’, and gives it the opportunity to “act” in a host of different roles.
Sharon Kam receives strong and sensitive support from the Württembergisches Kammerorchester Heilbronn under the direction of its principal conductor Ruben Gazarian.
Here is Sharon Kam, speaking about her new CD titled “OPERA!”, and performing a few samples:
And here is Sharon Kam, performing Mozart’s clarinet concerto, the first movement:
Tags: Sharon Kam, Opera!, Clarinet