New Year’s Concert
- Live recording from the Teatro La Fenice, 1 January 2013
On this DVD we get to hear the following selections from that concert:
- Le Siège de Corinthe: Ballabile – Galop
- Symphony No. 2 in C minor, Op. 17 ‘Little Russian’
- Aida: Overture (Cairo version)
- Di Madride noi siam mattadori (from La Traviata)
- Mercè, dilette amiche ‘Bolero’ (from I Vespri Siciliani)
- Questa o quella (from Rigoletto)
- Attila Overture
- O signore, dal tetto natio (from I Lombardi)
- La traviata: Prelude to Act 1
- Sempre libera (from La Traviata)
- La mia letizia infondere (from I Lombardi)
- Va, pensiero (from Nabucco)
- Libiamo, ne’ lieti calici (from La Traviata)
Performed by Desirée Rancatore, soprano, and Saimir Pirgu, tenor, with the Orchestra and Chorus of the Teatro La Fenice, and Members of the Ballet of Teatro alla Scala, Milan, Sir John Eliot Gardiner conducting.
This concert gives the opera house’s resident ensemble, the Orchestra e Coro del Teatro La Fenice, the perfect opportunity to show off their musical capabilities.
The fiery galop from Gioachino Rossini’s French opera Le siège de Corinthe rounded off the program, in which Italian soprano Desirée Rancatore and Albanian tenor Saimir Pirgu presented the Verdi arias.
Here is John Eliot Gardiner conducting G. Rossini at the 2013 Teatro La Fenice:
And next, here is the famous Prelude to Act 1 from Verdi’s La Traviata:
Tags: New Years concert 2013, Gran Teatro La Fenice di Venezia, John Eliot Gardiner