One Great Concert!
I always appreciate my DVD recordings, because they transport me to be able to enjoy musical magic.
Such was the case last night, when I watched the amazing pianist Martha Argerich, when she played solo and also with several other amazing musicians.
The selections on this DVD are:
- Bach: Partita #2 in C-Minor, played by Ms. Argerich
- Bartok: Violin Sonata in E-Minor, performed by Renaud Capucon, violin, and Ms. Argerich.
- Grieg: Cello Sonata Op. 36, performed by Mischa Maisky and Ms. Argerich.
- Lutoslawski: Variations on a Theme by Paganini, played by Gabriela Montero and Ms. Argerich.
- Mozart: Andante and five Variations, K. 501, performed by Stephen Kovacevich and Martha Argerich.
- Shostakovich, Piano Quartet in g-Minor, Op. 57.
This is a collection of the most wonderful performances given at the Verbier Festival in Switzerland by the legendary pianist Martha Argerich, featuring some of the best-known musicians of today.
Martha Argerich proves once again her great pianistic technique in a display of virtuosity, performing some great works of fine music.
The concert opens with Ms. Argerich playing Bach. She shows up on stage, bows deeply and gives nobody a chance to cough before the magic starts! Bach’s Partita #2 is out there in all its glory. Quiet, contemplative sections, and explosive, percussive sections emerge. Frequently this is very dramatic Bach.
I thought that I knew a lot of Mozart’s music, but the Mozart Andante and Five Variations, K. 501 was new to me. I learned later that Mozart composed this in 1786, five years before he died. This music was beautifully played by Ms. Argerich and her third husband, Stephen Kovacevich:
The Sonata for Cello and Piano Op. 36 by Edvard Grieg was another amazing piece for me. Grieg is so often lyrical and calm. In this composition, his music is passionate and explosive: Just what Cellist Mischa Maisky and Ms. Argerich do best!
Works by Bartok, Lutoslawski, and Shostakovich complete this rich offering of music.
Let me end with a video of a small section of the Bach Partita No. 2 , as played by Ms. Argerich at the Verbier Festival:
Tags: Martha Argerich, Grieg, Mozart, Shostakovich, Verbier Festival, Bela Bartok, Mischa Maisky, Kovecevich