Lang Lang at the Royal Albert Hall.
Pianist Lang Lang returned to London’s legendary Royal Albert Hall for two recitals that consisted of music by Mozart and Chopin; the crowd was ecstatic: there were eight encores.
Here’s what you’ll enjoy on this recording, which captures these recitals:
The Dance of Waterweeds
- Zuqiang Wu (1927), Mingxin Du (1928).
- Ballades Nos. 1-4
- Waltz No. 6 in D flat major, Op. 64 No. 1 ‘Minute Waltz’
- Nocturne No. 16 in E flat major, Op. 55 No. 2, encore:
- ….Y la negra bailaba!, encore
- Piano Sonata No. 5 in G, K283
- Piano Sonata No. 4 in E flat major K282
- Piano Sonata No. 8 in A minor, K310
- Rondo alla Turca from Piano Sonata No. 11, K331, encore.
- Intermezzo No. 1, encore.
- Davidsbündlertänze, Op. 6: No. 14: Zart und Singend, encore.
- Étude Op. 8 No. 12 in D sharp minor, encore.
Performed by Lang Lang (piano)
The three early Mozart Piano Sonatas, numbers 4, 5, and 8, have been part of Lang Lang’s latest recital tours, which he presented live in more than 200 concerts. Besides these Mozart Sonatas, Chopin’s Four Ballads were also part of the regular program.
You might ask: “How has this man been so successful?” Here’s my view:
- First, his playing is spectacular. Crisp, clear, no mushy pedaling to hide errors, and fine, lyrical feeling for the music.
- Second: This musician is supported by terrific marketing. Whether it is on the Social Media sites such as Facebook, or elsewhere, Lang Lang constantly has an on-line presence.
- Third: Lang Lang does give back to the community in various ways. One particular passion is to encourage younger players.
- Fourth: This man has a fantastic stage presence. And this skill is a prerequisite for success, as judged by any major instrumental competition.
Here is Lang Lang live at the Royal Albert Hall: (One hour and 43 minutes!) Starting with the Mozart “Piano Sonata No. 8 in A Minor, K. 310: II. Andante cantabile con espressione”
Here’s what he played as one of the eight encores: Go to 1:28:20 on the above video.
Tags: Royal Albert Hall, Concert, Lang Lang, Mozart, Chopin, Schumann, Scriabin