- Music of Mozart, Previn, and Strauss.
- Live recording from Salzburg, Austria
The music of some great artists lives on forever. This recording is one such example.
On this CD, Barbary Bonney interprets ‘Sallie Chisum remembers Billy the Kid’ – which was written for her. In Bonney’s work with André Previn the American art song has become more and more important.
In the third part of the concert she sings Lieder written by Richard Strauss, and she shows again her attention to detail and her interest in the meaning of the German lyrics.
The program is as follows:
- Die ihr des unermeßlichen Weltfalls – Kantate, K619
- Das Traumbild, K.530
- Sehnsucht nach dem Frühlinge, K596
- Ridente la calma, K152
- Dans un bois solitaire, K308
- Oiseaux, si tous les ans, K307
- Abendempfindung an Laura, K523
- Sallie Chisum remembers Billy the Kid
- Songs (4)
- Ruhe, meine Seele!, Op. 27 No. 1
- Morgen, Op. 27 No. 4
- Das Rosenband, Op. 36 No. 1
- September (from Vier Letzte Lieder)
- Zueignung, Op. 10 No. 1
- Strauss: Wiegenlied
Performed by Barbara Bonney (soprano), André Previn (piano), and Franz Bartolomey (cello).
Desire is the theme that is common to various aspects through all three parts of this concert:
- In Mozart it is the search for his dream, the longing for spring, the desire to be loved. His ‘Kleine deutsche Kantate’ KV 619 can be heard as an appeal for tolerance and unity.
- Prévin bases his compositions on contemporary American poetry and with them touches on the wish for recognition as well as for the abolition of inequality between people.
- Strauss, on the other hand, expresses in his unique colors the search for peace of mind in nature and in a love that is beyond this world. Barbara Bonney, André Previn ad Franz Bartolomey convey all these messages with a fine artistry. This is wonderful enjoyment from Salzburg.
Barbara Bonney achieved equal success in art song, oratorio, modern vocal music and opera. Her voice is especially suited to Mozart, the lighter Richard Strauss operas, and all but the heaviest lieder, and she was careful in her choice of repertoire; even in her 40’s, she could still call forth a fresh, girlish timbre when it was needed. In 1984, she made her Vienna State Opera debut as Sophie in Richard Strauss’s ‘Der Rosenkavalier‘, a role which was to become one of her most famous.
She is currently Professor at the Mozarteum in Salzburg as well as guest professor at the Royal Academy in London.
Here is “Sallie Chisum remembers Billy The Kid” by Andre Previn, as sung by Barbara Bonney:
And next, here is Andre Previn conducting music of Aaron Copland: “Poems of Emily Dickinson”
Tags: Barbara Bonney, Andre Previn, Mozart, Richard Strauss, Lieder, “Sallie Chisum remembers Billy The Kid”