Alfred Brendel: Artists Choice Anniversary Edition
This album contains 3 CD’s of Alfred Brendel’s favorite music compositions. Brendel celebrated his 84 birthday on January 5th 2015, and in some sense this is his birthday gift for us! He’s a legend of the piano world, revered and applauded the world over.
Famous for his amazing interpretations of the classics, we get the artist to personally select recordings that have been significant in his performance and recorded career. Including Bach’s Italian Concerto, Mussorgsky’s ‘Pictures’, and Liszt’s ‘Légendes’, and more. All of the above comes with Brendel’s own, personal reminiscences.
While Brendel does not perform much anymore, I personally see in this great artist a person of humility, and a sensitive man who specialized in the music of Schubert, and who concentrated on being committed to the intention of the composer There is a wonderful diversity of musical style and musical periods in this collection, ranging from Bach to Liszt. I am relieved to see that Schubert retains a place in this collection, as well.
Tracks on this CD are:
Bach, J S:
- Italian Concerto, BWV971
- Fantasia & Fugue in A minor, BWV904
- Piano Sonata No. 29 in B-flat major, Op. 106 ‘Hammerklavier’
- 6 Variations for Piano on an Original Theme in F major, Op. 34
- Legendes (2) for piano, S. 175
- Piano Concerto No. 17 in G major, K453 (Cadenzas: Mozart.)
- Scottish Chamber Orchestra, Sir Charles Mackerras
- Pictures at an Exhibition (piano version)
- Original Piano Version.
- Fantasie in C major, D760 ‘Wanderer’
- Konzertstück in F minor, Op. 79 for piano & orchestra
- London Symphony Orchestra, Claudio Abbado
Here’s Alfred Brendel in Japan playing an all Liszt’s concert: